I had my Mum's English lesson (1/30)

I had my Mum's English lesson this morning. We covered interrogative pronouns such as what, when, who, and how etc. I have been teaching her English for a while but I can definitely tell that her English is improving. She can't speak much yet but she understands what I am asking with less effort (×efforts) and she answers (×to) my questions with more confidence. I am going to teach her basic grammar to the level that junior high school students learn for 3 years. Then here comes the (×a) fun part. We are going to train speaking by listening and repeating useful English sentences, which will (×could) boost her English fluency!

*This entry has been corrected by Gori.

effortの用法!記事のeffort は努力というエネルギーなしで質問に答えると言う意味なので不加算名詞扱いとなり複数形は×。でも努力をするとか励むと言う意味では努力する事(attempt)を何度も繰り返すということになるので加算名詞となる(例 You need to make an effort to pass the exam. His efforts to lose weight haven't been very successful.)

Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "I had my Mum's English lesson (1/30)"

  1. tomoko, on 1 February 2010 at 06:25 said:

    Hi, waiwai-san. Long time no see.
    Today I came to mind about you so I visited your other blog written in Japanese and I found that you opened this blog. Wow, there’re many tweets. It’s a unique and great approach, I suppose.

    Changing the subject we can speak with knowledge which we learned at the junior high schools, I think. We only need to speak without worrying about mistakes.
    Now I knew that it is important thing so I have started to write my blog in English.

  2. YUKI, on 1 February 2010 at 18:04 said:

    Hello, Penguin san.
    Long time no see!
    Thank you for your compliment about this new blog! I am enjoying twittering here, even though my tweets are getting longer and longer(^^;)

    Yes, you are right. We don't need difficult grammar just to communicate in English. Having said that, if your goal is to master this language, you might hit a snag on the way if you don't know complicated grammar.

    You have been doing very well in your English blog. I visit your blog every morning (^^) Well if you wanted to improve more, you might want to think about having your entries corrected by a native speaker.

    Good luck with your study!

    waiwai